Dear developers,#debian #freesoftware #sourcecode #search #development #debsources #python #agpl3
We're happy to announce that Debsources, the Web application that
allows to browse and search the entire source code of all Debian
releases, is now hosted on the official Debian infrastructure and
available at https://sources.debian.org.
You may already know this service as previously hosted at
sources.debian.net . We took the move to Debian hardware as the
opportunity to officially announce it here.
Debsources is a web service that exposes the content of Debian source
packages on the Web, both via an HTML user interface and a JSON API
. To that end, an updater runs regularly (currently 4 times a day)
to unpack and index new packages from all the available Debian
suites. It also runs various plugins, for example to count lines of
code and measure the size of packages; this information is exposed in
Since all extracted information is stored in a PostgreSQL database,
various data warehouse features are available, such as the list of
file duplicates for every file, or package name search.
More than source code
Worth noting are two "sub-apps" that run on the same infrastructure:
* patches : for packages using 3.0 (quilt) package format, the list
of patches is extracted and exposed, along with some metadata.
* copyright : the copyright files of packages are exposed through
this interface, and displayed in a convenient way if they are
Debsources has been described extensively and used to conduct various
studies on the Debian source code. To learn more check out the paper:
Matthieu Caneill, Daniel M. Germán, Stefano Zacchiroli. The Debsources
Dataset: Two Decades of Free and Open Source Software. In Empirical
Software Engineering, Volume 22, pp. 1405-1437, June, 2017
An open access preprint of the paper and additional information about
Debsources are available on the Debsources documentation page .
Many credits go to everyone who submitted patches and feedback over
the years, thank you! In particular, Stefano Zacchiroli started the
project and wrote the updater infrastructure, and Orestis Ioannou
developed the patches/ and copyright/ apps.
This new instance of the service is hosted by DSA - without whom
sources.debian.org would not exist. Many thanks to the whole team for
their guidance in the d.n -> d.o migration, and in particular to
Julien Cristau and Peter Palfrader.
The previous instance of Debsources had been hosted by IRILL for
more than 4 years, who has also spearheaded the initial development of
the service - thanks for the non-interrupted service!
As always, we're more than happy to hear your feedback; you can
contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . (See the footer
of the Debsources web page for bug report and contribution
For the Debsources team,
There is also a short demo video. Nice!
- it's decentralized and federated, no need to have X accounts to use X tickets handlers. You can also import tickets from third party projects (e.g. plugins for your project) into your website.
- it's standard: we can handle or fetch tickets in third party servers easily, without proprietary API.
- it's very flexible: any field can be used, and the mechanism can be used for any list (bug tracker, TODO list, shopping list, etc.)
- being based on SàT, it's usable on any platform
- it can be used with gateways, allowing to use transparently tickets from other services (think about Gitlab or Github for instance)
Btw., the server searx.me seems to get slower and slower, because too many people use it. Please consider to use other entities of searx and - if you care for your privacy - use different servers alternating. There is a simple hack to automatically change the searx entity to use with every search, see here, here, and here.
- New theme: simple
- New engines
- Google videos (video)
- Bing videos (video)
- Arxiv (science)
- OpenAIRE (science)
- Pubmed (science)
- Genius (music/lyrics)
- Display engine errors
- Faster startup
- Lots of engine fixes (google images, dictzone, duckduckgo, duckduckgo images, torrentz, faroo, digg, tokyotoshokan, nyaa.si, google news, gitlab, gigablast, geektimes.ru, habrahabr.ru, voat.co, base, json engine, currency convert, google)
- Shorter saved preferences URL
- Fix engine duplications in results
- Py3 compatibility fixes
- Translation updates