Note to myself: How to disable OTR in ChatSecure
Some weeks ago, a colleague, who unfortunately uses an iPhone (he is not a completely bad person, though) installed ChatSecure. Immediately, I and others were annoyed by unreadable OTR garbage he sent. It took us a while, but at the end of the day (the whole day!) we found out how to disable OTR. Yesterday, a friend who unfortunately also uses an iPhone (he is not a completely bad person neither), had the same issue and it took me the help of strangers on the internet (here; the Conversations MUC), to remember what to do. For the next time and the benefit of the public:
- One cannot disable OTR globally in ChatSecure, but only contact by contact.
- You need to open the chat of the contact.
- Go to the "contact details".
- Go to "advanced encryption settings" and select "OMEMO", nothing else.
- Close chat with the contact.
- Repeat the last four steps for all your 511 contacts.